Squash Canada and its member provincial / territorial squash associations are seeking to fill positions for the newly created Squash Canada Junior Development Committee beginning in the 2012 – 2013 squash season.
JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE – Mandate / Objectives:
The Junior Development Committee is responsible for increasing participation and to provide a consistent competitive opportunity for all three levels of junior squash in Canada: Grass roots (Fundamentals), developing athletes (Learn to Train to Train to Compete), and high performance (Training to Win). The Junior Development Committee will concentrate on the Fundamentals (6 – 9 years), Learn to Train (9 – 12 years), Train to Train (12 – 16 years), Train to Compete (16 – 18 years).
Composition of the Junior Development Committee should include one Member of each P/T for a maximum of 7 Provincial/Territorial Squash Associations may put forward a representative to the committee. It is strongly recommended that the chosen representative of each P/T include – Head of Junior Development, Jr. Provincial Coach or an individual who leads Junior Development and LTAD Implementation in their respective jurisdiction.
Chair: Vice President of Player Development
Ex-Officio Staff Member: Squash Canada Sport Development Coordinator, Performance Director
Committee Members: The committee is comprised of (1) representative from the following provincial/territorial squash associations or regions:
- (1) representative from British Columbia
- (1) representative from Alberta
- (1) representative from Prairie Region (Saskatchewan/Manitoba)
- (1) representative from North (Yukon/Northwest Territories)
- (1) representative from Ontario
- (1) representative from Quebec
- (1) representative from Atlantic Region (Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island)
Term: Each committee member may serve a maximum of 3 two year terms provided they have been recommended by their respective provincial or territorial squash association at the conclusion of each term.
REQUIRED SKILLS FOR THE JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE:
Potential candidates for the Squash Canada’s Junior Development Committee should possess a high level of experience and capability in developing junior players at all Long Term Player Development (LTPD) levels and have a good understanding of LTPD principles and model; good understanding of community and club development programs, school squash programs as well as experience at the provincial level.
The main duties of the Junior Development Committee are:
- In conjunction with Provincial/Territorial Squash Associations and Squash Canada work to develop junior participation programs, community squash programs and to establish resources for “best practices”
- In conjunction with Provincial/Territorial Squash Associations assist the Performance Director in creating a Talent Identification Program for junior squash players across all levels/stages of LTPD
- Work with National Staff to create a player development pathway from “playground to podium”
- Provide program leadership and recommendations to Squash Canada for LTPD implementation across all junior aged stages of LTPD; this may include communicating with clubs, professionals, managers and parents
- Work with National Staff to establish and maintain a resource network of junior coaches by initiating an email database of junior grassroots and high performance coaches in each province/territory
- Work with National & Provincial Staff to develop a national registrar of players in each stage of LTPD
- When requested by Squash Canada Management provide feedback and input on Squash Canada junior competitions (hosting and technical standards) for Canadian Junior Championships, Canadian Junior Open, Canadian Junior Development and National Selection Processes
- Provide input regarding junior ranking procedures when requested
- Assist the Executive Director and VP of Technical in reviewing bids for hosting Canadian Junior Championship events and make recommendation to Squash Canada Competitions Committee when required. NOTE: members of the Junior Development Committee bidding to host national championships will not participate in the review/recommendation process due to conflict of interest
- Provide feedback and input on draw formats and propose changes to how junior national championships as well as Canada Games are run
- In conjunction with Provincial/Territorial Squash Associations, work towards the creation of programs which target the first 3 stages of LTPD (such as a National Schools Program, Skills awards and/or mini squash)
- In conjunction with Provincial/Territorial Squash Associations, develop FUNdamentals/Learn to Train, competitions, leagues and other programs which increase participation
Anyone interested in submitting their name for the Junior Development Committee should forward their name to their respective provincial/territorial squash association along with a brief summary and relevant qualifications. The respective provincial/territorial squash Association will forward recommended candidate(s) to Squash Canada by no later than September 14th, 2012.
Any further questions may be forwarded to Squash Canada Executive Director Danny Da Costa via email: firstname.lastname@example.org